Goat Cheese, Fontina & Arugula Quiche w/ Crispy Hash Brown Crust
- cooking spray
- 3 ounces baby arugula or spinach, this will seem like too much but don’t be alarmed! It will be amazing to you when you see how much it shrinks up in the microwave!
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 pound package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs
- sea salt and ground pepper
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 cup half and half
- sea salt
- 6 ounces grated Fontina cheese
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (goat cheese crumbles easily if you freeze for about 30 minutes beforehand)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Place arugula in a microwave safe container and sprinkle lightly with water (just a sprinkle with your hand – you don’t need much at all!). Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high power setting for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and allow to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Spray a 9-by-2 1/2-inch springform pan with cooking spray, then brush with butter. Line the sides of the pan with strips of parchment paper (the same height as pan); brush paper with butter – this part is essential – it will give you the lovely golden crust and keep the crust from sticking to your pan.
4. Place hash browns on 3-4 thicknesses of paper towels and fold paper towels over potatoes. Hold over sink and squeeze excess moisture from hash browns.
5. Remove hash browns from paper towel packet and place in a bowl with butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat into bottom and up sides of prepared pan, using your hands. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Place cooled arugula on 3-4 thicknesses of paper towels and using technique in step 4, squeeze out excess liquid.
7. In a large bowl, whisk 7 remaining eggs, sour cream, half and half Fontina cheese, arugula, 1 teaspoons sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well combined.. Pour into crust, and sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese. Bake until set, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove outer ring of springform pan, and gently peel off parchment paper.