Milanese-Style Chicken with Roasted Pepper and Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped,divided
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, panko
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces (8 pieces) chicken cutlets, sliced thinly and pounded into ⅛ inch thickness
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoons oil and sauté onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato and roasted pepper and cook until heated through.
- Transfer mixture to a blender; puree until smooth. Return sauce to saucepan, stir 2 tablespoons parsley, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper; keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a shallow bowl, combine panko with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and Dijon mustard.
- In another shallow dish, place flour.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Dip each cutlet into flour, next into egg mixture, and finally into bread crumbs.
- Working in two batches, sauté cutlets in hot oil until they are crisp and golden on both sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Then move to a cooling rack so bottom cutlets don’t get soggy.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet and repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Serve cutlets with roasted pepper and tomato sauce.